Dick Blick

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fair Isle Handbag


My oh my, it feels good to finish a UFO! Here is my Fair Isle handbag. This was a KAL on the yahoo traditional knitting list. Liz Lovick created the Fair Isle pattern in a sport or fingering weight yarn. But this yarn is grown and spun right here in Cheshire County so I had to use it. And I didn't want a hat, I wanted a handbag. Thank you Liz for the inspiration and design.
Creating this was a good finishing lesson for me. I did icord bind off and finishing for the first time. Lovely and fun! Then I had to cast on stitches on the bottom to do an I cord seam - live and learn, I should have done that cast on with waste yarn - life would have been simpler.
I designed the front flap- nothing special - used my painted fabric that I planned to discard for the lining. Other things I planned and did were I reinforced the button hole with the blanket stitch. I purchased the handles and never before machine sewn those but I think, since there are no knitting police, this turned ok.

No comments: