Dick Blick

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

HELP! Seeking advice for the UFO




Several years ago I took a fair isle class from what was then the Webs’ Master Knitting program. They had personnel issues and the program changed. To make this short, I did not continue with the program. I had started this fair isle sweater during the Master Knitting Class and the new program leader washed her hands of helping the previous customers. Thus, I am left in a lurch with a sweater I am trying to complete.

Here is my dilemma. I created the body of the fair isle sweater using Knitting the Old Way by Priscilla Roberts-Gibson. I never bound off the shoulders and instead went to my LYS, which has since closed, to try to learn how to finish this sweater. She had me steek the front and put the front bands on. Before I got that done, she closed her shop. (Sounds like a bad luck story here!)

Now, the sleeves are knitted. I want to finish the sweater and I can figure out the neck band but I have all the stitches on the needle – neck and shoulders, etc.

Shall I bind off doing a three needle bind off for the shoulders now or knit some more? And shape the shoulders? Or shall I count off the neckline stitches and create it, after which I can do the bind off for the shoulders.

Any suggestions are welcome!

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Terri, I have always done a 3 needle bindoff of the shoulders and then picked up the neck band. You could do some short rows if you wanted to shape the shoulders a bit before binding off. Too bad everyone left you holding the bag.

Karen said...

Hi Terri,

Do some short row shaping if you want to (I have very square shoulders so I don't usually) and then either 3 needle bind off or graft (Kitchener). I prefer the finish of grafting, but sometimes the sweater is so heavy that it is better with the more definite and stronger seam of 3 needle BO. Maker's choice. I do love the colours you chose.

Terri said...

These are very helpful. THanks so much.

reginag said...

Sweet words to hear.


florida merchant accounts